"THEY USE FORCE TO MAKE YOU DO WHAT THE DECIDERS HAVE DECIDED YOU MUST DO" - Zack de la Rocha

"A robot must obey orders given it by qualified personnel," - Isaac Asimov

"It came to me then that every plan is a tiny prayer to father time." - "What Sarah Said," by Death Cab for Cutie

"Open up your murder eyes and see the ugly world that spat you out." - "Temple Grandin," Andrew Jackson Jihad

"Don't you want to lose the part of your brain that has opinions? To not even know what you are doing, or care about yourself or your species in the billions." - "That Black Bat Licorice" by Jack White



Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Possible Masterpiece (?) Still Unsure

I have thought for a while about what I'd like to do for my masterpiece...  Every time I have an idea for what I could do I'll put it on my blog and then choose whichever one I like best.

Idea:  I'm thinking about writing a paper on how Righetti has let me down as a student and a person.  I will also discuss how the way the public school system treats kids has a very negative impact on learning.  No, I'm not going to be insulting teachers.  I won't be badmouthing anyone; I'm going to use facts to write this paper.  I will write about how difficult it is to be taken seriously as a student.

But as I said in the title, I'm still unsure of whether or not I will stick with this idea.  The biggest factor right now is how Hutton handles the questions I have about the gates.  Unfortunately he is very hard to get a hold of.  I went into his office today since it wasn't locked.  I spoke with a secretary who basically told me the same thing they always say: the reason there isn't someone unlocking the gate in the 600 block at lunch to let seniors who have finished classes leave is because they "don't have anyone else."  I asked her when Hutton would be in, since he was the one I actually wanted to talk to, and she told me maybe after lunch "if there isn't a situation." It would be cool if Hutton had a set time where he was in his office and students could talk with him... but of course that would be too much of a hassle; he doesn't have time for us.

So the excuse for the gate is that there is not enough security.  Obviously this is a lie... on the entire campus full of staff, you can't get one person in the entire school to open a single gate at the other end of the school?  Instead they coral us into one segregated entrance, and give us no other way to get out.  There are police out in the quad every once in a while at lunch surveying everything, and they are always on campus.  Why do they need so many security guards to wander around and keep tabs on us when they have cops there?  [Which brings up another issue- the installation of cops on campus.  But I'm not going to get into how much that angers me right now.]  I am just... sick of the way these people handle this stuff, and other situations on campus.

There would obviously be a solution to this if they cared enough, but the fact of the matter is that it is convenient for them and inconvenient for students to only open one gate.  The idea that it's okay to earn your pay for the day as easily as you can without paying attention to the students is common across this country, and many others as well.  I think that if your job is in the field of education you have an obligation to help the students who go to the school you work at.

The situation I wrote about is just an example of this distorted public school system.  The most important thing I've learned (though I've learned a lot from a lot of great teachers) is the injustice of class division, and I didn't learn that from the textbooks.  The fact that they won't unlock the gate isn't what I have the biggest problem with, but the implications of this.  When you stop and think about this- the fact that they felt the solution to issues they had with an open campus was to put up a giant locked fence- you get to the heart of the ideals of the American public school system.  I want to convey something like this in my masterpiece, but I'm not sure if it will be aimed at the school system or not yet.

I have also always been interested in the lives of serial killers or other people who commit horrible acts and what they feel psychologically, so maybe I could do a masterpiece on something to do with this... If I think of something good I'll post an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment